Youth For Change Fellowship
Do you wish to be a change-maker in education sector?
Do you have an idea to transform rural education in India?
Are you interested in working with children?
Do you wish to transform youth into leaders of tomorrow?
If your answer is yes to any of these questions, Varitra’s Youth For Change Fellowship is the right opportunity for you. Join us as we strive to make an impact at the ground where it matters most. Youth For Change Fellowship is a 10-month fellowship based out of Karnal district, Haryana. The YFC Fellow will work directly with our Program Manager (PM) on project planning and execution, operations, monitoring & evaluation. The fellow will also get an opportunity to work closely with all the stake-holders of our Education projects and will be responsible for co-ordination with school management, government officials, local panchayat leaders, etc.
Varitra Foundation is a non-governmental organisation working on transforming the government schools into a quality learning space across rural Haryana. Our project area is drawn across the Gharaunda block of Karnal district in Haryana with special focus on Yamuna Belt area comprising of backward and remote villages.
The challenges in government schools in the Gharaunda block can be mapped at three levels: school, community and education department. The key challenges at the school level are low infrastructure, lack of motivation in teachers, low learning levels among the children, poor quality of education, lack of healthy competition, lack of teachers etc. The challenges at the community level include low community response, low levels of parental education, low awareness level, local community politics, negative perception about
government school etc. Challenges at education department level also play a major role of hindrance in providing access to a quality learning space for children and adolescents at government schools. Policy decisions are often taken without taking teachers into confidence and their capabilities are not built to cope up with the constant changes into the education deliverables. Lack of Capacity-building trainings, low teachers-response to government’s education schemes, lack of monitoring staff, unavailability of school-
strengthening programs and lack of maintenance budget are crucial challenges faced by the education department.
Varitra Foundation is addressing the existing gaps in the government education system at these three levels by acting as a facilitator for all the stakeholders involved. We believe that action is required to tackle all the components at the same time for sustainable and long-term outcomes as all the components of education are interdependent on each other. Varitra Youth for Change Fellowship is a 10 month-long fellowship starting 15 th October, 2018 to July 15, 2019. Two Fellows be selected for the year 2018-19 and shall receive a monthly honorarium of 25,000/- INR respectively.
- Applicants must be 21 years or above.
- Applicants must be ready to give full-time commitment to the fellowship. The selected fellows will be expected to resign from their current employment. The fellows will not be allowed to put the fellowship on hold under any circumstances.
- Applicants must be willing to work towards the school and community development.
- Applicants can be of any nationality. However, applicants from other nationalities, except for Indians, should have the legal status to work in India.
- Applicants should have functional knowledge of English as we would be using English language for coaching sessions, manuals and electronic communications.
- Applicants must be ready to intervene in a school to teach and participate in other school-related activities, subject to need.
- Applicants must be interested in addressing educational and social issues and is eager to develop enterprising abilities.
The link for application shall be uploaded on August 20, 2018. Interested candidates can submit their completed applications along with their CV (in pdf format only) to
The selected applicants shall be contacted for a telephone interview post which ten applicants shall qualify for personal interview.
Application open – 20th August 2018
Application closes – 15 th September 2018
Round 1 – Telephonic interview – 21th – 22 nd September 2018
Round 2 – Personal/Skype interview – 30th September 2018
Beginning of the fellowship – 15th October 2018